5G promises to be the ultimate network in the next decade 2020
Operators claim that 5G will be the most efficient network on the market. There is no equivalent network on the market. For everyone that understand what is the difference between 5G and our actual network, here is a table that highlights the power of this type of communication.
- latency of 2 milliseconds
- For one user in average 1 Gb/s
- to download a movie of 30 GO = 3 min 20
- Energy efficiency thanks to a new system of array antennas.
- latency between 20 and 40 milliseconds
- For one user in average 100Mb/s
- to download a movie of 30 GO = 17 min
Thanks to this new form of flow, transmisison of informations will be clearly most rapid than ever in less time. Downloads movies in high definition and the apps that require a lot of network to operate won’t be a problem in the future.
in addition to these avantges, 5G offers to us some opportunities to developp our futur societies. Indeed, the future seems to be moving towards an ‘extra-connectivity’ of objects. And the increase of connected object depend on a suitable network. A network in charge of supporting all these connections. 4G is not efficient when a lot of devices are connected on this type network and their capacities are not pushed to the maximum. 5G will be a revolution for the efficiency of the connected objects also for users, vocal asstiatns, connected cars, smartphones, domotics and others innovations which needs a very high flow of network to operate.
Democratisation of 5G should also facilitate the deployement of sectors like augmented reality and virutal reality and especially the field of télémedecine. It is therefore a big step for profession that require complete, fast and reliable data transmission in real time …
But 5G how does it work ?
What is a frequency ?
Before tackling the operation of 5G, it is essential to define what a frequency is. Frequencies are waves that travel through the air and are used as information channels. The unit of measurement for these waves is Hertz.
Source : Orange, deployement of 5G
Three frequency bands will be used for the futur 5G.
- 3.5 GHz which is a low frequency and therefore has a very interesting coverage area.
- 400 MHz which is the actual frequency use by the 4G network
- the last one, The hyper frequency at 26 Ghz. Currently use by army, meteorologist and spatial agencies. This frequency will provide a flow as fast as fibre. But this frequency has a very short range and does not penetrate buildings well. This is why a new antenna mesh is being set up with new characteristics. These antennas will directly target objects that will be connected to the 5G network to provide a continuous connection.
A benefit at the cost of our health?
this new technic of communication create some of questions. The multiplication of these type of antennas worry the NGO (no gouvernemental organisation). An effect, the main risk of these antennas and electromagnetics waves is the thermal effect that they produce. But it is still too early to say whether there is a potential danger. A press release from the ANFR (National Frequency Agency) states that the 5G network is below the regulatory emission in force.
But while we’ve only just got one foot in the door of the 5G network, some are already working on an even more powerful 6G network that should work even in space. This is notably the case in China, which has brought together 37 researchers at the initiative of this project. As the proverb says, you can’t stop progress!